If you are a student, recent graduate or alumni interested looking for a job or internship you are in the right place! Register today to start your job search and be contacted by companies nationwide looking for you!. It only takes a few minutes and you will be on your way to the perfect job.
Location: Chicago, Illinois - United States
What does a Ramp Agent do for Southwest Airlines?
Southwest Airlines Ramp Agents are responsible for providing legendary Customer Service when safeguarding and handling our Customers luggage or cargo. Our Ramp Agents also provide friendly service and maintain positive relationships with all Internal and External Customers to ensure the success of Southwest Airlines.
What are some of the daily duties of a Ramp Agent at Southwest Airlines?
(Your duties may vary depending on the size of your work location.)
- Transfers our Customers Baggage and Cargo from aircraft to aircraft and/or passenger terminal and protects it against weather, loss, theft and damage;
- Operates and drives motorized equipment such as belt loaders, air start units, lift trucks, tugs, bag carts, lavatory carts and de-icing units;
- Works in the vicinity of and between the airport passenger terminals, hangars and airfreight facilities;
- Work outdoors in all types of weather conditions, around loud aircraft and machinery;
- Performs interior aircraft cabin cleanings by hand, when necessary;
- Cleans and services the aircraft lavatory;
- May perform the duties of a Provisioning Agent including stocking aircraft with items necessary for flight (drinks, peanuts, napkins, etc.);
- Completes paperwork and forms connected with work assignments pertaining to procedures and enter into Company's information system as required;
What are the Physical Requirements of a Ramp Agent?
- Must be able to lift and move items of 70 pounds and/or more on a regular basis and repetitively lift weights of 40-50 pounds on a raised surfaces;
- Must be able to work in the under bins of an aircraft by climbing, bending, stooping, kneeling;
- Must be able to carry heavy items up/down jetway stairs to and from aircraft;
What are the minimum requirements to be a Ramp Agent at Southwest Airlines?
- High School diploma, GED or equivalent;
- Must be at least 18 years of age;
- Must have authorization to work in the United States as defined by the Immigration Reform Act of 1986;
- Must have a valid U.S. drivers license with a good driving record.
To work at the airport, you must be able to obtain a Secured Identification Display Area (SIDA) badge. You will be required to meet all local airport requirements. For the security access, job seekers must have no conviction, guilty plea, or judgment not guilty by reason of insanity in the last 10 years for any of the following disqualifying criminal offenses, as determined by the federal Transportation Security Administration:
1 Forgery of certificates, false marking of aircraft, and other aircraft registration violations
2 Interference with air navigation
3 Improper transportation of a hazardous material
4 Aircraft piracy
5 Interference with flightcrew members or flight attendants
6 Commission of certain crimes aboard aircraft in flight
7 Carrying a weapon or explosive aboard an aircraft
8 Conveying false information and threats
9 Aircraft piracy outside the special aircraft jurisdiction of the United States
10 Lighting violations involving transporting controlled substances
11 Unlawful entry into an aircraft or airport area that serves air carriers or foreign air carriers contrary to established security requirements
12 Destruction of an aircraft or aircraft facility
14 Assault with intent to murder
17 Kidnapping or hostage taking
19 Rape or aggravated sexual abuse
20 Unlawful possession, use, sale, distribution, or manufacture of an explosive or weapon
22 Armed robbery or felony unarmed robbery
23 Distribution of, or intent to distribute, a controlled substance
24 Felony arson
25 A felony involving a threat
26 A felony involving: Willful destruction of property;importation or manufacture of a controlled substance;burglary; theft; dishonesty, fraud,or misrepresentation;possession or distribution of stolen property; aggravated assault; bribery; or illegal possession of a controlled substance punishable by a maximum term of imprisonment of more than 1 year
27 Violence at international airports
28 Conspiracy or attempt to commit any of the aforementioned criminal acts listed in this paragraph
What else do I need to know about being a Ramp Agent for Southwest Airlines?
- You will need to be available to work a variety of shifts, including nights, weekends and holidays and overtime;
- Ability read and write English;
- Attend and successfully complete a training program in Dallas, Texas with a 80% grade point average;
- This is a union position covered by the Transport Workers Union (TWU).
Additional Requirments / Information
|Job Capacity:||Employee (full-time)|
|Minimum Education Level:||See Job Description|
|Related Industries:||Professional Services|
Phoenix • Tucson • Palm Springs • Sacramento • San Diego • San Francisco • San Jose • Denver • Jacksonville • Miami • Orlando • Tampa • Atlanta • Chicago • Indianapolis • Kansas City • Louisville • New Orleans • Boston • Baltimore • Detroit • Grand Rapids • Minneapolis • Charlotte • Raleigh • Omaha • Atlantic City • Las Vegas • Reno • Buffalo • New York City • Cincinnati • Cleveland • Toledo • Tulsa • Portland • Philadelphia • Pittsburgh • Myrtle Beach • Memphis • Nashville • Austin • Dallas • Houston • San Antonio • Salt Lake City • Richmond • Seattle • Spokane